Assistant Herdsperson – Ludbrook, Ivybridge, Devon
Due to the development of our business, an opportunity has arisen for an Assistant Herdsperson to join our progressive dairy farm in Ludbrook, Devon.
We are a third-generation family business with a passion for cows and our land. Our 300-cow crossbred herd are milked twice a day in our 24/ 48 milking parlour, we operate on a Spring block calving system. We have also recently invested heavily in a new cow cubicle shed, calf shed and handling facilities. We also have modern machinery and facilities.
As an Assistant Herdsperson, you will be working closely with our Senior Herdsperson supporting with the day-to-day running of the dairy operation and ensuring that our high standards of hygiene, cow health and welfare are maintained. This is a role where you have the opportunity to develop into a more senior position and pick up more responsibility on the farm.
Your roles and responsibilities will include but won’t be limited to:
– Milking as part of a team to a high and consistent standard.
– Supporting with the daily management of the herd and ensuring animal welfare is the top priority.
– Supporting dry cow management, calving cows, and colostrum protocols.
– Maintaining records and ensuring data is kept up to date.
– Keeping the farm overall tidy & safe to operate.
– Liaising with vets & nutritionists for the farm.
– Treating & identifying illnesses and informing the Senior Herdsperson of any observations.
– Basic Tractor/ Machine Operation.
– General Farm Maintenance & Fencing.
– Actively joining team meetings and discussion groups.
A proof of UK right to work will also need to be provided.
You will be working directly for the farm, not through REAL Success.
The right person will need to demonstrate strong abilities in agriculture, but we are willing to invest in the right individual with the required training. We are looking for someone highly motivated to join our fast-paced team and be able to adapt on a daily basis. We are passionate about cows and their welfare; the right individual would share this passion and join us in moving the farm forward.
In return, we offer a competitive salary and a commitment to create a safe working environment with sensible working hours for the assistant herdsperson. We also have accommodation available.
The farm is located in the beautiful hamlet of Ludbrook and is close to the South Devon coastline and Dartmoor. It also benefits from having good local primary and secondary schools.
If you’re looking to develop your career, and are a positive, friendly and organised person, we’d love to hear from you.
Applications with a cover letter explaining why you’d like to work on our farm as a herdsperson will get preference.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £28,000.00-£33,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Free parking
- Housing allowance
- On-site parking
- Relocation assistance