Lead Cow Feeder – Haselbury Plucknett, Crewkerne, Somerset
Are you a tractor driver with experience in feeding cattle, looking to take the next step in your career?
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Lead Cow Feeder to lead in our dairy unit feeding our milking herd in Crewkerne, Somerset.
We are a family-owned mixed farm, who have been milking and caring for dairy cows for over 90 years. The dairy herd consists of 1,850 milking cows plus replacement heifers, and they are calved all year round, with a team in place overseeing the calves and maternity side of the farm. All our data & records are kept using Uniform, Feedlync and BoviSync. Our milk is supplied to Arla TSDG, whilst also being an Arla regenerative pilot farm since last Autumn and supporting other pilot farms.
The farm owner has been recognised within the industry by being Farmers Weekly dairy farmer of the year in 2010, RABDF gold cup winner in 2015, Farm Business of the Year at the Food and Farming awards in 2015 and Tesco TSDG Farmer of the Year 2017.
As the Lead Cow Feeder you will be heading up our feed team, you will be responsible for:
– Feeding the milking herd, ensuring the herd is provided with the correct feed amount.
– Leading a small team daily, ensuring the feeding routine runs smoothly.
– Inventory checks of the feed.
– Collaborating with the Herd Manager to achieve herd performance goals.
– Support with increasing milk productivity within the herd.
– Keeping the clamps and yard tidy. Adhering to health & safety protocols at all times.
– Basic servicing of the machinery, reporting any major faults.
– Utilising the Lely Juno ensuring feed is brushed in.
– Reviewing dry matter and cow behaviour and amending feeding and nutrition accordingly
A Full UK Driving License is required. A Telehandler and Forklift license are preferred but not essential. A proof of UK right to work will also need to be provided.
You will be working directly for the farm, not through REAL Success.
You will be a positive and easy-going person, with a high attention to detail and excellent communication skills. You will be confident and able to apply your knowledge to support the dairy.
You will be empathetic towards cows, with a good understanding and experience of cow husbandry in relation to feeding and nutrition. You will have a wealth of experience operating machinery with a basic level of knowledge of servicing. Above all, you will be a self-starter who is keen to support, apply and lead.
We will provide a competitive salary based on your previous experience, regular time off, company pension and a commitment to your training and development. We will also provide you with your own private accommodation in the village.
The farm is based in Crewkerne, Somerset with excellent schools, leisure, and shops nearby.
If you think you can join us as Lead Cow Feeder then apply now!
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £40,000.00-£45,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Free parking
- Housing allowance
- On-site parking
- Relocation assistance