Assistant Herd Manager – Haselbury Plucknett, Crewkerne, Somerset
Are you looking for an exciting and challenging role to progress your career?
We are looking for an Assistant Herd Manager to join our dairy team in Crewkerne, Somerset.
We are a family owned mixed farm, who have been milking and caring for dairy cows for over 90 years. The dairy herd consists of 1,850 milking cows plus replacement heifers, the herd is made up of mainly Holstein Friesians with some cross breeds. Our cows are milked three times a day on an 80-point rotary parlour and our cow housing and facilities are high quality, designed to assist with the effective movement and management of cows. We operate an all-year-round calving system with a team in place overseeing the calves and maternity side of the farm. All our data & records are kept using Uniform, CowConnect and BoviSync and our milk is supplied to Arla TSDG, whilst also being an Arla regenerative pilot farm and supporting other pilot farms. Regen has become a large part of our business as we think more about the impact of our actions and how we can build a more sustainable future. All our forage is grown locally, we farm 3000 acres and nearly all cropping operations are carried out by our own team.
The farm owner has been recognised within the industry by being Farmers Weekly dairy farmer of the year in 2010, RABDF gold cup winner in 2015, Farm Business of the Year at the Food and Farming awards in 2015 and Tesco TSDG Farmer of the Year 2017.
As the Assistant Herd Manager, you will be over seeing the day-to-day management of the herd & dairy team whilst supporting the Herd Manager with moving the farm forward. Also covering for the Herd Manager in their absence. AI & Foot trimming experience is preferred but not essential, other roles and responsibilities include.
– Daily management of the herd and ensuring animal welfare is the top priority.
– Working directly with the team to ensure quality and productivity is being met.
– Work with the Herd Manager to improve and maintain the performance and direction of the staff, ensuring training opportunities are delivered, holidays are taken, and rotas are completed.
– Liaising with the herd manager regarding the farm production targets & KPI’s, including milk production, Improving cow genetics and the breeding of the dairy herd. Implementing this to the dairy team.
– Monitor cell counts and clinical mastitis and work with the Herd Manager to control them, accordingly, working closely with the vet.
– Analysing on farm technology.
– Liaising with Vets, nutritionists, and consultants for the farm, ensuring all protocols are followed.
– Keeping the overall farm tidy and safe to operate. Ensuring health and safety legislations are met daily.
– Farm site & machinery maintenance, making certain that everything is to the highest standard.
– Maintain relevant dairy records, regularly monitoring the herds’ physical and health performance.
– Communicate regularly with the Herd Manager and colleagues and participate in all policy discussions and decisions.
A full UK Driving Licence is required for this role. A proof of UK right to work will also need to be provided.
You will be working directly for the farm, not through REAL Success.
You will need to demonstrate strong experience with dairy and people management. This role will suit someone who shares a passion for people alongside cows, communicating and managing staff effectively in a fast-moving business.
You will have a high attention to detail whilst being confident and organised with data inputting. You will be highly motivated, adaptable and be able to bring new ideas to the wider team, always thinking of how we can improve. Your attitude, behaviours and values are more important to us than your experience as you will be managing a large team of different personalities.
We will provide a competitive salary based on your experience, alongside holiday and a flexible working rota. We also have a cottage in the village available. Overall investing in your ongoing development and supporting you to achieve your targets & goals.
Our farm is based in Crewkerne, Somerset with excellent schools, leisure, and shops nearby.
If you think you can help us as an Assistant Herd Manager, we’d like to hear from you.
Applications with a cover letter will receive priority.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £40,000.00-£50,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Free parking
- Housing allowance
- On-site parking
- Relocation assistance